What quick and easy dessert do you make when you get a late night request and you haven’t got much in the cupboards? Bread and Butter pudding!
My husband fancied a sweet treat after dinner and I thought, what can I make? I haven’t got a lot of ingredients but then I remembered we had some leftover brioche loaf from making French toast for breakfast the other day.
So I decided to make this super simple bread and butter pudding with the little scraps of dark chocolate we had left.
⏰ Timestamp ⏰
0:10 Prep baking dish
0:21 Slice the brioche loaf
0:43 Line the baking dish with the slices
1:33 Make the custard Pt 1: Hot mixture
2:18 Make the custard Pt 2: Whisking eggs and sugar
3:27 Make the custard Pt 3: Adding the hot mixture
4:19 Adding leftover brioche to the custard
5:15 Let’s build this brioche pudding!
8:01 Finishing touches
8:22 Time to bake
8:28 Et voilà! The finished Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding 😋
8:31 How to serve
9:04 Let’s eat
🔪Prepping time: 20 mins
🔥Baking time: 25 mins
🍽 Servings: 4 generous portions
👩🍳Skill Level: Super Easy
🍰 Ingredients 🍰
150ml Double Cream
150ml Whole Milk
3 Medium Eggs
50g Unsalted Butter
50g Caster Sugar
50g Demerara Sugar (optional)
1tbsp/7g Vanilla Bean Extract
50g Dark Chocolate (or any other chocolate you like. You can also use chocolate chips)
🍰 Method 🍰
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
2) Grease the baking dish with butter using a pastry brush and cover with demerara sugar (leaving some to coat the top at the end)
3) To make the base of your bread and butter pudding, slice the sides of the brioche loaf 1cm thick deep, leaving the rest intact for now, and then use them to line the baking dish. Press against the sides making sure they’re nicely tucked
4) In a saucepan, add the cream, milk, vanilla extract and butter. Simmer on a low/medium heat until the butter is melted. Once the butter has melted, put the saucepan aside to cool down
5) Now to make the custard! In a medium mixing bowl, crack open three eggs and add in the caster sugar. Whisk until light and fluffy
6) Slowly and gradually pour in the hot cream mixture, making sure not too much is added at once (if it’s too hot, it’ll cook the eggs and you’ll end up with a scrambled mixture!)
7) Pour some of the custard mixture over the base of your bread an butter pudding until it’s covered
8) Break the rest of the brioche loaf into pieces and soak them into the custard
9) Now it’s time to build your bread and butter pudding! Grab your chocolate and like a lasagne, you’re going to build it in layers. Break chunks of your chocolate (or sprinkle if you’re using chips) and place them onto the base of bread and butter pudding. Then cover them with a layer of soaked brioche and repeat until it’s all gone. Pour any leftover custard over the top
10) Add the remaining chunks of chocolate and sprinkle the rest of the demerara sugar over the top
11) Pop into the oven and bake for 25 mins until golden brown. There should be a slight wobble in the middle
12) If you can wait, let it cool down for 10 mins and serve with lots of cream or ice cream.
Get a FREE copy of this recipe by visiting my website – https://m-bakery.co.uk/Brioche_Bread_and_Butter_Pudding. No email address is required.
🍰 Links to Tools and Ingredients 🍰
In all of my videos, you will find links to the tools and ingredients I use. Most of which are from Amazon and as an Amazon Associate (as well as others), I earn from qualifying purchases but this will be of no additional cost to you.
Some items are no longer available and so I have done research on the suggested tools and only provided links that I truly believe will be just as good, if not better, than what I have. These are brands that I trust and if I were in the market to purchase these items again, I would buy these specific tools.
By clicking on the affiliate links below, you are supporting me and my work which allows me to continue serving you. I’m grateful you have chosen me to be one of your tutors.
Thank you so much. You’re awesome!
🍰 Ingredients 🍰
The ingredients I use can be purchased at your favourite supermarket however here are some that I’ve used in the video:
Dark Chocolate – https://amzn.to/334gjpD
Vanilla Bean Extract – https://amzn.to/3EAFNsR
🍰 Tools 🍰
Weighing scales – https://amzn.to/3EA0nJE
Oven dish (23cm x 14cm x 5cm) – https://amzn.to/3DxMfiL
Pastry brush – https://amzn.to/31FbMto
Medium Mixing Bowl – https://amzn.to/3ExcyqE
Whisk – https://amzn.to/31t5xsV
Electric Whisk – https://amzn.to/3rJLktp
Freestanding Mixer – https://amzn.to/301mdGX
Bread Knife – https://amzn.to/3Dy9YQ4
Small “Copper” Saucepan – https://amzn.to/3dxhuQE
Copper Saucepan Set (John Lewis) – https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-tri-ply-stainless-steel-saucepan-set-with-lids-3-piece-copper/p5217586
Spatula – https://amzn.to/3y3jB80
Large Metal Spoon – https://amzn.to/303HYWE
Tefal portable ceramic hob – https://amzn.to/3Jm9nVv